I am deaf and want to do Deaf Awareness presentations. Are there any useful DVDs for me to buy? I want to explain what types of deafness, lipreading techniques and sign language there are. Also the types of barriers that deaf people do suffer etc.
I always say Deaf Awareness trainers need to:
1. Have a positive view of deafness (rather than using words like ‘suffer’)
2. Be a good workshop trainer: you can attend a ‘Training the Trainer’ course at a local college.
3. Like hearing people – after all, they are going to be your audience.
4. Be confident in speaking in front of people or know how to use an interpreter well in group situations.
5. Be knowledgeable about deafness and hearing loss across the whole spectrum – you need to talk about lots of different points of view.
Then you can start! Have a look at different D/deaf organisations and see what materials they have. There are very few well-made Deaf Awareness DVDs now as it is so expensive to make well-scripted and interesting films.
If people can recommend any, just post your comment here (and I might comment in return).